Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Gifts #1: Car Mat

Had lots of fun making this play mat for Lucas for Christmas.  Bought decorator-weight fabric for the background.  Painted the roads with acrylic paint.  I got the idea here.






Chick-fill-A is Lucas' favorite restaurant, but I couldn't figure out how to make the logo.  So I ironed freezer paper on fabric to stiffen the fabric and ran it through the printer.  It worked fine.  I thought the red was a little light-colored, or dull, so I went over it with marker. 











 I wasn't sure how to put the dotted lines on until the last minute.  I thought about zigzagging or using Steam-a-Seam.  But I thought they would both take too long.  Finally I decided to use freezer paper.  I cut out the shapes on the freezer paper (actually I made about 5 of these stencils), ironed them on the roads, and then painted the lines with yellow acrylic.  Worked great and went fast.
Used this fun material for the back.  
Found these great wooden trees, street lights and road signs at Hearthsong

3 comments:

  1. Love love love it, Mom. I really liked the pics leading up to it... very interesting! What an amazing gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so amazing!!! i love it. you are so creative! zara said "wow, she is a really good sewer!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a tremendous amount of work. So cute! I only have little granddaughters or I would have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete