Sunday, February 23, 2014

Now that's a big pillow!


So this is a giant floor pillow. The idea came from here.  I didn't take pictures along the way, but it was very easy.

I used 45-inch wide, decorator-weight fabric and cut the top and bottom squares as big as I could using that width.  So mine were about 43 inches square.

Then I made 4 pieces about 8 inches longl and the width of the squares.  My pieces measured 8 x 43.

I sewed all four of the 8-inch pieces right sides together, end for end, making a long loop.  To make the seams stronger, I zigzagged each seam.

So I could be sure to keep the pieces lined up, I marked the mid-point of each piece with a pin.

Then I sewed one square to the long side piece right sides together, matching the corner seam to the corner of the square and the mid-points.  Again I zigzagged the seams.

I sewed the other square to the long piece the same way, but left an opening to turn the pillow right side out.

I filled this monstrous pillow with two bags of beans (beanbag filler).  That was a bit pricey, so for the next one I am going to try plastic bags, like from the grocery store.  I saw that idea on another website.

For the last step, I hand-sewed the opening shut.

I think it was a big hit with these three.




No comments:

Post a Comment