Friday, February 15, 2013

Simple Thread Catcher

I love to do hand sewing.  But I don't love the threads that often end up on my chair or the floor.  So I decided to make a thread catcher.
Here's how I did it.

5-inch circle for the bottom (one for exterior, one for lining, one of interfacing)

NOTE:  I don't actually cut the circles right away.  I cut a square a little bigger than 5 inches out of each fabric.  I draw a 5-inch circle on the right side of the lining fabric.  Then I stack the exterior fabric right side down, then the interfacing, and then the lining with the circle drawing on top.  I zigzag just a little way inside the drawn circle through all three layers.  Then I cut out the circle.  It seems like my circle is more accurate this way.

5 x 14 inch piece for the side (again for one exterior, one for lining, one of interfacing)

Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the exterior fabric piece.  Then match that piece up with the lining piece, right sides together.  Stitch along the long edge, using a 1/4 inch seam.

Fold this sewn rectangle in half, along the shorter side (which is now around 10 inches long.)  Stitch together (1/4 inch seam).

Refold this piece in half along the long sewn side, right sides out.

Now you will sew the circle to the side piece by placing the circle and side piece right sides together (1/4 inch seam.)

NOTE:  I like to have some marks to show how to match these pieces up easier.  I fold the circle in half and make a mark close to the edge at each end.  Then I refold the circle with these marks together and make a mark at the ends again.  This way you have a mark showing each 1/4 of the circle.  I do the same thing with the side piece.  Then I pin the pieces with the marks touching.

Fold the top down about an inch so the lining shows on the outside...and start filling it with little threads and scraps.



No comments:

Post a Comment